Consciously natural, vegan and palm oil free
The Windsor end of Chapel street Melbourne, a melting pot of all that is great about Melbourne, in one of the most diverse and cosmopolitan cities.
After trying natural pomades which didn’t perform well, and looking closely at ingredients in most pomades, such as harsh chemicals like petrolatum and nasty preservatives, we wondered why pomades can’t be natural? So, we formulate our own product that consciously included premium, natural ingredients that are vegan and palm oil free. All combined into a nourishing pomade that performs.
Palm oil free and vegan
Melbourne made, and in 2019 was the world’s first accredited palm oil free pomade, The Windsor End pomade is formulated with natural waxes, clays and oils that nourish hair and style all day.
We wanted to formulate pomades and avoid animal derived ingredients. We preferred to first choose premium and natural ingredients. When it comes to palm oil, research showed that sustainable palm oil was difficult ensure. So we avoided sustainable palm oil and avoided it all together, which proved to be very difficult. Finally a high performance formulation was developed that avoided palm oil and which we are quite proud of.
All decisions across the business have sustainability in mind, from the choice of ingredients and their impact on person and planet. Aluminium packaging, the most recycled material by consumers and local councils was chosen over plastics. We still have a long way to go with our sustainability efforts and we’re actively looking to improve.
Created in the suburb of Windsor in Melbourne, Australia, we wanted to give people a conscious choice of products that are:
- All natural, vegan, and palm oil free
- Free of parabens, sodium lauryl sulphate (SLS), Sodium Laureth Sulphate (SLES), synthetic fragrances, palm oil or palm oil derivatives like cetaryl alcohol, mineral oils, phthalates and animal derived products like beeswax and linalool
- Includes organic oils, shea butter, soy wax and hemp seed oil
- Organic certified preservative, certified by Organic Food Chain http://organicfoodchain.com.au/ (OFC) and ECOCERT https://www.ecocert.com/en
- Aluminium packaging, the easiest for people to recycle, and the most recycled product by local councils
- 100% plant based
- No animal testing
- Australian made and owned, made in Windsor Melbourne
The following ingredients were consciously chosen:
- Hemp seed oil, cold pressed from hemp seeds, known to strengthen, protect and nourish hair with vitamins A, B1, B2, D, E, and beta carotene. Hemp is a sustainable crop as it requires few pesticides and little, often only rainwater to farm, sourced from Australian Primary Hemp in Geelong, Australia https://www.ausprimaryhemp.com.au/
- Kakadu plum, one of the world’s highest known source of vitamin E;
- Soy wax, nourishing for hair, a natural alternative to petrolatum and vegan alternative to beeswax;
- Shea butter, unrefined and natural, sourced from seeds from fruit of the Shea tree in West Africa, moisturises and softens hair, rich in vitamins A, E and F as well as antioxidants
- Coconut oil, moisiturising with vitamin E
- Avocado oil, lighter than most oils therefore easily washed out of hair, rich in antioxidants, essential fatty acids, oelic acid, monounsaturated fats, vitamin A, B-5 and E, lecithin and potassium
- Olive oil, moisturising
- Australian orange essential oil
- Lime essential oil
The clean pomade category is small and growing. Awareness of toxic and synthetic ingredients in many hair styling products is growing, and we hope to provide another choice.
We will raise awareness of the toxic and synthetic ingredients in many products, such as petrolatum, parabens, SLS, mineral oils and nasty preservatives.
It’s exciting to be part of such a meaningful movement of conscious decision making, conscious products and the clean pomade category.
Plastic packaging has been avoided, we consciously chose aluminium packaging, and corn starch postage packs for products purchased online.
Research showed that household plastic waste is not recycled as much as aluminium waste. Making our packaging decision easy.